Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama Speech - A Turning Point to Victory


Obama gave a fabulous speech this morning. He directly, honestly and intelligently laid out the current state of race relations in the US. He addressed the concerns of Reverend Wright's more radical statements while staying faithful to the relationship. And, he laid out his vision for an America that provides opportunities to all its citizens, regardless of race, religion, color or creed.

He is smart, he is honest, he has the pulse of America, he is direct and he is principled. He will make a fantastic President!

Below are excerpts from the speech I found quite powerful (I have included more excerpts and links to several editorial responses at drbcontinued - click).

About Obama:

  • I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton’s Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas.

About Reverend Wright:

  • If all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way.
  • But the truth is, that isn’t all that I know of the man...
  • The man I met more than twenty years ago is a man who helped introduce me to my Christian faith, a man who spoke to me about our obligations to love one another; to care for the sick and lift up the poor. He is a man who served his country as a U.S. Marine...

About his candidacy:

  • Despite the temptation to view my candidacy through a purely racial lens, we won commanding victories in states with some of the whitest populations in the country. In South Carolina, where the Confederate Flag still flies, we built a powerful coalition of African Americans and white Americans.

About the white perspective:

  • Most working- and middle-class white Americans don’t feel that they have been particularly privileged by their race.
  • As far as they’re concerned, no one’s handed them anything, they’ve built it from scratch.

The future of our country:

  • I have a conviction rooted in my faith in God and my faith in the American people – that working together we can move beyond some of our old racial wounds...
  • The real problem is not that someone who doesn’t look like you might take your job; it’s that the corporation you work for will ship it overseas for nothing more than a profit.
  • This union may never be perfect, but generation after generation has shown that it can always be perfected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FRIENDS
LINKS