Sunday, April 13, 2008

Gnarls Barkley - UPDATED 4/20 w/SNL VIDEO





And, check this story with great photos of the gig the Friday night before GB's SNL appearance - Gnarls Barkley @ Highline Ballroom, NYC - pics



Yesterday, I read an article in the NY Times about the new Gnarls Barkley album. The article got me so I turned on about the new album, I came home from class and ordered it from Amazon.

I mean, this is my kind of band, "The music was made for dancing: pumping, socking, upbeat ’60s garage-soul riffs topped with gleeful swoops of analog synthesizer. The band played full tilt throughout the set, looking nerdy and hyper enthusiastic, with heads bobbing and hair flopping." Sounds sweet! I am looking forward to the album's arrival on our doorstep.

Our friend Meredith gave us a copy of the first Gnarls Barkley album, St. Elsewhere and I like it a lot! The album is mixed in our regular rotation of home and car listening, and I use several of the songs in my mixes for spin class.

The band innovatively combines soul, funk and rock with stirring lyrics. The vocals are deep, the mix is smooth and the rhythms make me want to shake my booty! It's straight up quality music making.

My two favorites from the first album are "The Last Time" and "Crazy". I like "The Last Time" because its all about dancing, I love dancing and whenever I hear it I think, "Hm, when was the last time I danced?"
Well come rock with me baby
Dance with me darling
Step with me sweetheart
The world is watching...
...And the poetry is so pure
When we are on the floor together
And, "Crazy" I like so much because the song seems to hint at some deeper life philosophy and alludes to deeper mysteries of the world...
Come on now, who do you, who do you,
who do you, who do you think you are,
Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think you're in control
Well, I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
Just like me
Like the song says, I do believe we are all a little bit crazy; we all kind of hide it, maybe showing a little bit of our insanity to our closest friends. I am lucky to have a lot of people who are willing to put up with my crazy! (thank god!) The best part about the song is the deep thoughts all get wrapped up into fantastic music!

Imagine my delight when I heard Gnarls would be the guest band last night on SNL. Even though SNL was just okay I stayed up to watch both of the GB sets - they rocked! Whenever I watch the SNL musical guests, I try to discern if they are lip syncing, which drives me crazy, and I am certain Cee-Lo, the band's singer, was not lip syncing last night. He has a great voice, deep and rich, a fantastic stage presence, and a huge smile! I loved it!

I started out this morning looking online for the video clips of GB's SNL sets, but couldn't find them, not even on the SNL website - which isn't very easy to navigate by the way, it doesn't have a search option to find clips - how ridiculous is that?!?

Anyway, I did find this great clip of GB performing "Crazy" on some show called "Top of the Pops" It's a soulful, downtempo performance that showcases the bands range and depth. I was really impressed.

I am trying to find tour dates, but haven't located them online yet...maybe they will come to Phoenix, who's in?

2 comments:

  1. they rocked snl the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! They were awesome...wish I could find the video.

    ReplyDelete

FRIENDS
LINKS