Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What gets you out of bed each day?

Let's face it, I have had a bad couple of weeks. As I said, I have been really sick and we are facing more delays on a decision about Omar (see below). My normal cheery blog has had a couple of downer posts.

But, we all face hard times. We all get stuck with frustrating situations and personal crises, many much more significant than having to wait on adopting a child.

In the face of those crises, we have to get up, out of bed, and face the world. Even though we might not want to, even though we might just want to bury our heads in the sand, we resist that impulse and we wake up and face the challenges of the day. There is something within us, some driving force, a reason, a purpose, that pushes us to wake up and do whatever it is we do that day.

So, I would love to know - what are the reasons you wake up in the morning? What do you see as your purpose on this planet? What inside you helps you face the challenges of the day?

Is it something specific, like, "I am going to cure cancer" or, "I am going to be a great father/mother/brother/friend" and that motivates you to get up and get going, to try and fulfill that purpose?

Is it something more vague, like, "I am going to make the world a better place" or, "I am going to be successful and make money and provide for my family"?

Do you wake up each morning intent on making money and having material goods? Safety? Security? The pursuit of happiness?

Or, do you get up just because you get up, because that is what you have always done, that's what you did yesterday and it's what you will do tomorrow. You get out of bed and you go do whatever it is you are going to do and you don't really think about it?

Or, maybe, you just wake up in the morning so you can, as quickly as possible, make it back to bed that night.

What is it? What is YOUR reason for living? YOUR reason for pulling yourself out of bed each day. Because, for most of us, bed is a darn good place to be.

So, what is it? Please respond in the comments section.

8 comments:

  1. This is what "we" "in the business" call "Web 2.0" or "user created content". By commenting "you" help drive the conversation and create content others can enjoy.

    Try it. "Join" the "revolution"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are "they" still "air quotes" on the "Internet?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dog who wants his breakfast at five o'clock in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy waking up and wishing my wonderful wife good morning. And saying hi to my loyal dog. Then coffee, paper, food and off to work.
    Work is good most of the time as I toil in the nonprofit world. Doing what good we can do each day motivates me. Particularly when we can add value to our operations and work with enjoyable co-workers. When things don't go well, that's when we wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wake up every morning and think one less day of the Bush presidency.

    Soon it will be truly mission accomplished

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gets me out of bed & out of the apartment is the anticipation of seeing my girlfriend's face light up when I get back home in the evening.

    How's that for some "drb" :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, you left me all warm and fuzzy inside! Maybe I should start a DRB certification course. After grueling training you could earn the right to have a DRB after YOUR name.

    Only 10 payments of $19.99!

    (Offer void in Texas)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I knew just who are rasputin and billy bob.

    But I kind of like the mystery (part of me wonders if it is ridiculously obvious and I am just an idiot!).

    Either way, I appreciate their readership and their comments - thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete

FRIENDS
LINKS